Registering with a family doctor
To find a family doctor who is accepting new patients, you can put your name on a waiting list:
- By telephone – by dialling 514-484-7878, extension 1589.
If you need to see a doctor immediately, consult the web page Finding a resource that offers medical consultations on the same day or next day.
Once you have placed your name on the waiting list, your request will be evaluated, and priority will be granted according to your healthcare needs. The waiting time may vary, depending on the availability of doctors and on demand in your area.
If you are registered on the area’s waiting list, you do not need to register again on the Quebec Family Doctor Finder (QFDF).
To be able to register on a waiting list to find a family doctor, you must meet the criteria listed below. You must:
- Have a valid medicare card.
- Not be already registered with a family doctor. However, if your doctor can no longer see you, or if you wish to change physicians, see Registering with a Family Doctor.
- Live at the address indicated in your file at the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ). If you no longer live at that address, you can submit a change of address.
- Be at least 14 years old. If you are under 14, an adult must register on your behalf.
- Live in Quebec and your postal code must be listed by Canada Post.
Updating a registration in the QFDF or area waiting-list
If you need to update your registration or change your contact information, you can make the changes directly on the Quebec Family Doctor Finder (QFDF).
If you want to signal a change in your health, you can do so directly in the Quebec Family Doctor Finder (QFDF).
You may also request an evaluation of your health condition by a nurse. You can check if this service is offered by checking your area waiting list. The nurse will re-evaluate the condition of your health and update the priority level associated with your registration.
You can also update your registration by telephone by calling your area waiting list.
Finding a family doctor by yourself
You can try to find a family doctor on your own by contacting medical clinics or Family Medicine Groups (FMGs) near you to see if they are accepting new patients. You can find their contact info in the Finding a Resource section.
Registering with a Family Doctor
Once you have found a family doctor, or have been assigned one, you must register with that doctor. You must complete the registration form provided to you by your doctor.
Registration with a doctor is voluntary and free. However, it can be cancelled in certain instances:
- If you register with another doctor.
- If your doctor can no longer follow you – if, for instance, he/she leaves the practice or retires. To request another doctor, contact your area waiting list. You will retain your current family doctor until a new one is found.*
- If you relocate and can no longer get to your current clinic. Contact your area waiting list to request another doctor. You will retain your current family doctor until a new one is found.*
*In some situations, you may not be able to request a new doctor while retaining your current one.
You must cancel your registration with your current doctor. In doing so, you could lose access to services offered by the clinic you normally go to.